Article provided by: Gearstar Performance Transmissions
Ford’s 4R70W transmission was an invention of 1993. It was a development of the AODE transmission, which began as AOD, in1980. The AODE transmission followed in 1983 and later had revisions to include electronic features, in 1992. Ford Motors redesigned it in 1993 and branded it to 4R70W. The improved version exhibited the following functionalities:
- Enhanced gear strength to better the acceleration for taking off
- Reduced gear ratios for the first and second gears
- A better torque convertor that had better launching performance and increased efficiency
- A turbine speed sensor that improved the transmission’s control and offered a base for complete electronic and automatic shifting. This setup reduced the need to hunt for the right shift speed and fuel
- The microprocessor recorded better acceleration and improved responsiveness and accuracy of the control system
- The transmission compiled the output torque with the electronic throttle strategy to improve the driving experience. The vehicle, therefore, maintained proper speed and conversion state of the gear
- A sealed lifetime transmission fluid and case make it easy to keep the transmission’s performance because the adaptive pressure consistently maintains the shift’s feel
Ford joined the then common trend of switching names for the transmissions and therefore rebranded a couple of their tools. The current naming system is more descriptive and meaningful to one who understands technical connotations.
W stands for Wide Ratio, and 70 means 70 x 10 lf/ft, or torque capacity of the input shaft. This transmission has 700 Newtons per meter. It was common in Ford F-150 of 2005. The model was excellent for a while until the firm developed its upgrade — the 4R75E.
Standard cars that use the 4R70W transmission
- Ford Expedition
- Lincoln Mark VIII
- Ford Crown Victoria
- Ford Mustang
- Lincoln Town Car
How to maintain the 4R70W transmission
Check fluid levels
Letting the transmission run out of fluid or with shallow liquid content is a guaranteed way of breaking down the device. The remaining fluid will not lubricate the moving parts sufficiently and ultimately cause breakage due to excess friction and improver distribution of heat.
Change the fluid
It is essential to keep up with the maintenance schedule of the automobile. It is easy to keel the transmission when you keep running on acutely dense and dirty liquid. Some people believe it is vital to flush out the fluid while others think the practice is ill-advised. There are two options in regards to changing the fluid:
- A power flush – A skilled shop will have adequate tools to drain the transmission of all the liquid and remove the fluid pan. They will also replace parts of the transmission and install a new looking and functioning device.
- Basic transmission service – The procedure is simple because one only has to drain the fluid from the pan, torque convertor and filter, and then top them with new fluid.
Better driving habits
The right driving habits will go a long way in maintaining the decency of your transmission fluid. One way is by waiting for the engine to warm up before leaving the driveway. This precaution ensures that the liquid can conduct heat better and for longer.
View Larger Map